Friday, January 4, 2008

Design Challenge 2008

Heber Valley Quilters 2008 Design Challenge!
Our theme for 2008 is Elements - water, air, fire, earth
January is Elements of Quilting - the block and the border
If you are participating in the design challenge this year, and hopefully you are, for the month of January you need to be working on a quilt block that measures between 14 and 19 inches square. Find a pattern or make your own and then pick your fabrics, both with your element that you drew in mind. There are many places online that have free block patterns. Try one of these sites: www.freequiltpatterns.info/
http://www.quilterscache.com/
http://quilt.com/Blocks/AlphaBlockList.html
Make your block. Then you need to put a border on your new block that is at least 3 inches wide but not bigger than 5 inches wide.
That is it for January! Bring your element quilt top to February guild meeting for the next step in our elements design challenge and to receive your participation prize.

Look at the pleasure Shantelle is getting as she holds 'The Basket of Doom or Gladness' that we drew our design challenge fate from! Thanks Shantelle for making our design challenges so fun and interesting. You have an amazing mind to think of all of this good stuff for us! Thanks for s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g us too!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I am so excited I have a lot of green for my element!!!!

Cat said...

I wasn't excited with my pick of "Air" (I wanted fire) but I have figured something out. My definition of "Air" maybe different then yours but I am going with it. Thanks Shantelle for putting these together and prompting all of us to reach outside that comfort zone!

Cat

Wendy said...

I think the best part was that Shantelle told us if we really hated the element we drew we could draw again. I think everybody that did a re-draw, drew the same element they picked the first time. It has to be fate. :)