Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Design Challenge for February
HVQ Design Challenge 2008
Theme: Elements—Water, Air, Fire, Earth
1. In January, you drew an element from the basket. You are using this element of nature as inspiration for your challenge quilt. Your element of nature does not change with each month’s instructions.
2. Each month—January to April—you will receive new instructions. Bring back your Elements quilt each month—February to April—to receive a participation prize.
3. June 5 will be the HVQ Elements quilt show. Your quilt must contain all the elements of quilting and be completely finished—quilted, bound, labeled—to be eligible for the viewers choice award of $25 gift certificate to Season’s of Home.
February: Element of Quilting—appliqué.
1. The block with borders that you pieced in January is to become the background on which you are going to add elements of quilting. This month, you are adding appliqué to your quilt.
2. The appliqué should enhance your quilt and build on the element of nature. It should not be appliqué just to meet the requirement. Be creative. Think about your element of nature and how appliqué will work beautifully on your quilt.
3. You may use any method of appliqué—needle turn, freezer paper, hand or machine, etc. If you need help with appliqué, please feel free to call Shantelle or any of the appliqué mentors in the guild.
4. You MUST add appliqué in order to be eligible for the March participation prize and the June viewers choice award.
5. DO NOT add borders to your quilt. DO NOT increase the perimeter of your quilt in adding appliqué.
If you have any questions about the instructions, please don’t hesitate to call Shantelle.